2.20.2010

Words to Live By

Tonight was pretty crazy for me. I got home from snowboarding with Andy, Mo, and Uri and we went to the rec center for a sauna/hot tub/steam room session. It was actually really relaxing after a day of hiking and sessioning a fairly sizable jump in Little Cottonwood Canyon (more on that feature in my next post). We then went to my house and goofed off while watching Hot Rod and transcoding some footage on my computer. After I kicked Mo out of my house due to the fact that I was nodding off to sleep, I was sleep texting some friends when suddenly I snapped awake and had the craziest feeling that I needed to be in Salt Lake ASAP. I honestly have no idea what it was all about, but it was an unmistakable prompting that for whatever wiser purpose than I can currently grasp, my presence was required in SLC. I kind of disregarded it for a few minutes, but when it only exacerbated the feeling, I opted to act on it. I quickly packed up everything I thought maybe I'd need (i.e. snowboard and kit, camera bag, toiletries, blanket, extra jacket, Red Bull, etc.) and got on the road.
You may ask, "Parker, oh my! What happened when you got to Salt Lake? What was the big deal?" Well, I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you asked, the answer is this: Nothing. Nothing happened. At least nothing h happened yet. I'm still in Salt Lake as I'm writing this post. But the whole experience left me with a few moments to think about a neat line from the Book of Mormon. It's a little anecdote that Mormon throws in to kind of justify why he included a bunch of stuff in his abridgment of the records that ultimately made up the content of the work published in 1830, and it goes a little something like this, 
"And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will (Words of Mormon 1:7)."
I honestly have no idea why I was prompted very strongly to go to Salt Lake City tonight, but I trust that it was something that the Lord wanted me to do, so I did it. It was kind of awkward, and I second guessed it a lot, but hey, what can you do, right? I know this departs from what I normally blog about, so forgive the seeming out-of-character nature of this post. Those of you who know me well understand that this isn't really out-of-character at all, but rather just a little more private most of the time.

No comments: