3.02.2010

The Heavy Pack

"Dude, Parker, your pack is so freaking heavy!" Being a fairly common phrase uttered, I get nervous anytime one of my friends goes to pick up my pack because I don't want to be liable for future lumbar problems, or a separated shoulder or something. In all seriousness though, my pack is seriously ridiculous. Spending 5 out of the last 8 days in the backcountry without a snowmobile, it's starting to become more of a reality than a bother, but it's interesting to me exactly what it takes to really get it done. I just count my blessings that I don't have to carry all my gear in a toboggan behind me. I'll probably need to hire an assistant at some point just to help carry camera gear. But first I need to make enough money to survive for myself (you hear that, sponsors? Starving photographer over here!). But since we were on the topic of packs, I thought I'd give a list of what accompanies me on any given shoot in the backcountry:

Snowboard
Boots
Bindings (duh)
Avalanche Shovel
Avalanche Probe
Avalanche Transceiver
Gloves (x3)
Goggles (x2)
Sunglasses
Beanie/facemask (x2)
Sunscreen
Extra dry firstlayer
Snowshoes
Collapsable touring poles
Water
Red Bull
Peanut butter sandwiches
Manfrotto Tripod
Canon 5D Mark II
EF 70-200 ƒ/2.8 IS USM
EF 24-70 ƒ/2.8 IS USM
Sigma 15mm ƒ/2.8 Fishey
Sigma 20mm ƒ/1.8 Wide Angle
Rode Stereo Video Mic
Radios
Extra Compact Flash cards
Extra batteries
Screwdriver
Knife
Gaffer's Tape
Plus whatever I'm wearing on my person (like a jacket or something)
iPhone + Stealth Ear Bud headphones by SIEGE Audio for some hiking tunes

This is what I'm currently carrying in my sweet Ogio Patroller pack that I picked up last year. It's pretty amazing how much crap you can fit into one of those, but it definitely is ridiculously heavy when it's all said and done. But hey, it's worth it, right?

And since I mentioned my iPhone and music, I guess it's fitting to talk about music just a little bit. I'm sure you guys have noticed on the podcast episodes that there tends to be a lot of folk influenced Rock music, and that's just the stuff that definitely makes me tick. I pulled up my iPhone and checked the top five most played songs, and they are as follows:

5. "Rock and Roll All Nite" by Kiss
4. "Night On the Sun" by Modest Mouse
3. "Reckoner (The Twelves Remix)" by Radiohead
2. "The Crane Wife 3" by The Decemberists
1. "Things Fall Apart" by Built To Spill 

2 comments:

Samantha Jane said...

Love that you set up the back drop for that.

parker said...

Hey, it's set up 24/7. Always ready for a shoot.